Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sewing Room Blues

When The Husband and I moved into this house last summer, I planned to turn the smallest bedroom into a sewing, knitting and reading space. A little sanctuary, where I could knit along to audio books in a comfy chair, put up my Egon Schiele print (which TH can't stand) and so I would be able to lay the dinner table without moving a sewing machine first.
Bliss.

This is the kind of thing I had in mind -

Amber's super-organized craft room, via Apartment Therapy

The Tofu Studio sewing room as seen on Apartment Therapy

Colourful, organized and practical. Rooms where you would want to spend time.

This is what I have:

I have no idea what this room is for.
 Right now it  is home to TH's orchid collection, the laundry basket and possibly the ugliest chair in the world:


Aaaaaarrrggghhh! Why would you do that?!

Clearly, urgent action is called for. Ideally I would
  • Paint the walls. Green gloss is no-one's idea of a good time. I'm thinking bright white or pale turquoise.
  • Install a white cube bookcase along one wall - good for storage and display of fabric, books and yarn.
  • Set up a sturdy craft table
  • Install a shelf under the window for the orchids.
  • Hang a mood board and pictures.
  • Cover the damn chair. 
  • Post pictures and be smug.
None of that is unachievable, except I am working with a budget of a little less than $0. I even found myself looking in the basement just to see if a spare bookcase or table had materialized. They hadn't. 
Maybe if I close my eyes really, really tight and wish really, really hard the DIY Fairy will come and make it all better.

No comments:

Post a Comment